Other Washington and Baltimore Area Clubs
- Baltimore Science Fiction Society (BSFS)
- Every Spring, BSFS runs Balticon.
The club meets the second and fourth Saturdays of every month.
- Baltimore/Washington SMOFs
- For con-runners in and around DC and Baltimore.
- FanTek runs two conventions in the Washington area every year:
EveCon and CastleCon.
- A club for all Washington area gamers. Meetings every Saturday.
Formerly the George Washington University Gamers' Society.
- Hampton Roads Science Fiction Association (HaRoSFA)
- HaRoSFA is the oldest (founded April, 1977) science
fiction/fantasy club in southeastern Virginia (Newport News, Hampton,
Norfolk, Virginia Beach area). HaRoSFA sometimes runs a convention
called SciCon. Contact
HaRoSFA Secretary Terry Gray or
Agent Mary E. Gray for information.
- Hopkins Science Fiction Association (HopSFA)
- This SF club for students at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore
meets Thursday evenings. HopSFA runs the annual JohnCon.
- The Kingdom of Atlantia (a laurel kingdom of the
Society for Creative Anachronism).
- The Society for Creative Anachronism is an international
organization dedicated to researching and recreating pre-17th-century
European history. These local affiliates of the SCA are part of the
Kingdom of Atlantia (which comprises Maryland, most of Virginia, North
and South Carolina, and a piece of Georgia):
- Lambda Sci-Fi
- Lambda Sci-Fi is a science-fiction, fantasy, and horror club for Lesbians,
Gay Men, Bisexuals, Transsexuals and their Friends in the Washington DC area.
- LUMSFS is a group of friends who get together for dinner every
Wednesday night (starting around 7:30 to 8:00 pm) to chat, meet, eat,
and sometimes play board or card games, at a restaurant in Silver
- Markland promotes a variety of activities that provide its membership
and the public with access to education on times prior to 1500 A.D.
Virginia Doctor Who Viewing Society
- NoVaDWVS meets once a month to view and discuss episodes of the
long-running Doctor Who television series.
- Novag is a local gaming club that sponsors Novagcon and Gamecon.
- Metro Washington Mensa
- The Washington chapter of Mensa, the organization for people with high IQs.
- Potomac River Science Fiction Society (PRSFS)
- The group was founded in 1975 by and for people who love to read
and discuss SF books. Members of PRSFS review whatever old or new SF and
related genre books they have read in the past month. PRSFS meets on
the second Friday of each month at 7:30 pm at various members' homes in
Maryland and DC. For information, call Aly or Paul Parsons at 301-587-0377.
- Starfleet International
- Starfleet, an international Star Trek fan organization, has the following
chapters in the greater Washington area:
- USS Alpha Centauri, NCC-71812, Camp Springs, Maryland.
- USS Athena, NCC-51896, Reston, Virginia (also affiliated
with the Federation, another Star Trek fan association.)
- USS Highlander, NCC-10530, Frederick, Maryland.
- USS IDIC, NCC-52916, Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Susquehanna Sci-Fi Friends
- The Susquehanna Sci-Fi Friends is a club located in the heart of
Pennsylvania's Susquehanna Valley region between Harrisburg and
- Timebinders is the Society for the Preservation of the History of
Science Fiction Fandom.
- Washington Gamer's Association
- WGA is a local gaming club that meets the first Saturday of each
month at the Game Parlor in Chantilly, VA. They also run a New
Year's Eve All-Nighter each December 31st starting at 10 pm.
Washington Psychotronic Film Society
- Dedicated to unusual, bizarre and genre films. Catch their
regular screenings at various locations in DC.
- What IF...?
- What IF...? is the Information Forum on Science Fiction &
Fantasy at the Library of Congress. Authors give lunchtime talks
at the library once every month or so. These talks are listed in
WSFA's calendar of upcoming events.
Plus a Few Clubs Further Afield...
- A club located in (not surprisingly) Cincinnati. Home port of
former WSFAns Scott & Jane Dennis.
- Kansas City Science Fiction and Fantasy Society
- KaCSFFS is 26 years old and has over 100 members. In 1996 KaCSFFS
joined with the Gunn Center for the Study of Science Fiction to found
the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame.
- Little Rock Science Fiction Society
- Little Rock, Arkansas, sent Washington its most famous citizen.
Here's a link to find out more about what SF fans are doing in the
ex-president's home town...
- Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society (LASFS)
- The nation's oldest SF Club. Host of LosCon.
- National Fantasy Fan Federation (N3F)
- A gathering place for people looking for others who share the
same interests for the discussion, review, and critique of Science
Fiction and Fantasy in all medias.
- New England Science Fiction Association (NESFA)
- The grand old club of Boston. Host of Boskone.
- Philadelphia Science
Fiction Society (PSFS)
- The nation's second-oldest SF club (and longest continuously
operating if you hold LASFS's temporary shut-down in World War II
against them). PSFS is the host of Philcon.
Add your club to this list by sending a note to
WSFA's Webmaster. Please note
that we do not list invitation-only clubs.
WSFA Home (frames)
| WSFA Home (no frames)
This page was created 28 February, 1997.
This page was last updated 7 July, 2005.